Still have Olympic fever? That’s Ok! Though it’s on a slightly less grand scale, the Manitoba Power Smart Games got underway In Portage La Prairie this Past Sunday. I covered the Opening Ceremonies for the title sponsor Manitoba Hydro.
Some quick facts about the games:
- The Power Smart Manitoba Games follow the Olympic cycle, taking place every two years, alternating between summer and winter events.
- The program is administered by Sport Manitoba and implemented by the Manitoba Games Council.
- 1200 volunteers are trained to operate a multi-sport event.
- The provincial host community benefits from in excess of $150,000 in sport facility capital upgrades.
- There is an opportunity for a monetary surplus at the completion of the Games. Previous financial legacies have ranged from $10,000 to $100,000.
- 1800 participants and a large number of family members contribute to an economic impact of over one million dollars on the host community.